Jan 21, 2009

no ducks

I heard back from the University of Oregon last week. By email.

"Dear Haley Cloyd,
We regret to inform you that your application for admission to the Counseling Psychology Program at the University of Oregon was not accepted."

Et cetera.

Eight spots. One hundred sixty applicants. Statistically speaking it makes sense.

I am still a little pissed. My ego is [definitely] still a little bruised. But people get rejected from graduate programs all the time.

I was just hoping I would be one of the few who was spared from that particular form of rejection.

It is far too easy to wallow when I think about that email. [Yes, email.] But the fact of the matter is that I DO NOT WANT TO WALLOW.

I want to continue looking forward, squinting at the sun that is slowly rising above my horizon, shedding light onto my future that has been waiting in shadow.

7 comments:

lizzyashby davidaaron said...

now we see but a poor reflection...then we shall see face to face

Haley said...

You're the best. I mean, technically God is since those words are from the Bible, but you know what I mean.

Heather said...

I love you!!!!! If I ate duck, I'd eat it tonight as some sort of primal ritual of retribution.

Haley said...

Besides this way I can JUST be a USC fan. I don't have to feel conflicted about going to one school in the Pac 10 and rooting for another.

Anonymous said...

I am going to kill them. Seriously. They are idiots. So I actually wouldn't want you to go that school anyway.

With stuff like this, I usually allow myself a bit of "wallow-time" and then try to move past it in a healthy way. So I am impressed/proud of you for choosing that route, friend.

I'll keep praying...

-Smarsh

Fifty Two Weekends said...

Green is my favorite color, but tonight I have burned all of my green things in your honor.


My room smells like plastic and meth now, but it was not in vain.

Haley said...

My friends,

Thank you all for you sweet, encouraging, and somewhat violent words. I really appreciate it!

It does a girl good to know her friends have her back.

Love you all immensely!