Work is crazy. Life is crazy. Running is crazy. I have too much to do [then why are you blogging, Haley?] and it seems like there is never enough time to do the things I want to do and still slow down enough to just REST. I am not a fan of this breakneck pace, and friends, I want out of this car. I keep telling myself it will slow down, and after October 10 it will a little. A lot of anxiety and stress goes away after that day [why do I want to do this marathon again?]. Have I mentioned my hip is bothering me again?
On top of it all, September has begun to turn rainy, and rainy autumn weather [I know it's not technically autumn yet, and I know we barely had a summer] is my favorite. It reminds me how much I love to slow down and rest. I hear the rain out my window and imagine curling up on the couch with coffee, knitting, and a movie and NOTHING sounds more appetizing right now. But I can't. Because I have to be at work early to finish the day's to do list so I can leave work early so I can go for a run before I go to a meeting to discuss the fall teaching series on Ruth for youth group.
Right now it feels like the only thing that could evoke real gratitude would be a broken leg or a case of pneumonia.
- Waking up to the soft patter of rain outside my window.
- The quiet, thoughtful, thought provoking music of Thad Cockrell and the person [whose blog I totally creep on and you should too] who introduced me to his music [through aforementioned blog creeping].
- Knowing that in this world I will have trouble, He has OVERCOME the world.
- New, square, metal double pointed knitting needles that wait patiently for life to calm down so we can spend hours on the couch with coffee and unfinished socks.
- Canning tomatoes.
- Clean, delicious water right from my tap every day.
- Long drives and the way they lend themselves to good conversation.
- The chance to pray for others, and how, in that mysterious way I don't think I will ever understand, it underscores my Father's love for me.
- My high schoolers, watching them discover and experience life.
- A warm cup of coffee first thing in the morning.
- Flowers and a card from my boss after a very long week.