Apr 7, 2010

these are my confessions

Nish and her good blogging ideas...first it was Thankful on a Thursday, which I look forward to every week, and now it's public confession.

The first time I encountered confession outside of Catholicism was in Don Miller's Blue Like Jazz. I admired the way he wrote about it from a distance, never considering I'd experience it for myself. Fast forward to May of 2009 and, with two strangers during a prayer meeting at church, I confessed my sins out loud for the first time ever. After my confession, one of the women in my group affirmed my forgiveness, saying, "Haley, in Jesus' name you are forgiven." It was an incredibly powerful experience.

So, after reading Nish's blog today, I thought a bit of public confession might be in order. It's one thing to confess in the privacy of my own head, or in prayer with a close friend or two, it's another thing to post them on the internet. This is by no means an exhaustive list, but some of these confessions are relatively new discoveries. Putting them out there, being honest about them, is part of forgiveness and part of the freedom I want to live in.
  • I am selfish.
  • I have serious entitlement issues.
  • I have a terrible relationship history.
  • I am judgmental of others and myself.
  • I listen to Lady Gaga, loving every minute of it.
  • I use humor as a way to diffuse uncomfortable situations.
  • I have a hard time forgiving myself.
  • I am a prideful person.
  • I have serious control issues.
  • I struggle to see others as individuals, not projects to be fixed.

No comments: