Feb 14, 2011

walls

They stood there, tall enough that I had to stand on my tip toes to see over them. Four walls of brick and mortar, built with my own hands. Built to keep me safe, built to keep him out, built for the purpose of protection.

Inside these walls that were supposed to offer safety, all I felt was alone. I could hear the emptiness fill this place, just big enough for me and no one else. “It’s better this way, just me. I’m safer without anyone else in here,” I told myself as I poured water into the powder that would become the mortar that held these walls together. “Not too big,” I thought as I laid out the footprint of the box that would become my home. “I don’t want people thinking they can come and stay.”

I'm writing at A Deeper Story today. You can read the rest of the post there.

3 comments:

frogla said...

I'm sry you had to go through protecting yourself & feeling isolated. It's gr8 that you figured out you were in a prison & broke free. Kinda reminds me of the movie Shawshank Redemption. Andy was accused of a crime he didn't commit & he was to serve 2 life sentences in prison. There he discovered either get busy dying or get busy living. He decided he was meant to live freely so he broke free.

Jody said...

Awesome work, Haley. Really proud of you

Haley said...

Thanks, Jody! :)